Sunday, August 22, 2010

Got Dem Ol Lower Allen Blues, Mama

Yesterday I kept up a mostly yearly tradition of playing for either Steve or Sandy's birthday party in their backyard, by the pool. This year we had a special guest, Blind Boy Carlos, on the harp. Carlos, aka Craig Milus, is a fine harmonica player who also is in the court reporting business on the side. We had a lot of fun on a perfect day to be out eating, drinking and playing music. Thanks to Sandy for inviting me to play, to Steve for his fine vocals, to Craig for his support, and to everybody there for making it such a good time.
These are some seriously good people, and I've had the pleasure of calling them not only colleagues but friends for many years now. There may be people who make more money doing what we do, but there's more to life than income level. I count myself as a wealthy man for having friends like these (although a few more thou a year wouldn't hurt.)


Friday I did something different, one of those other things I've wanted to get around to in this Year Of Getting Around To Things. I bought enough peaches to freeze a bunch, and when I say "enough," I mean a half a bushel. Anybody want some peaches? If yes, speak up soon. They are so peaking good right now it's insane, and the juice runs down your arm. I've given a few away already, but I have a couple dozen left. If you want some, give me a call. This is what's best about summer -- good music, good friends and good produce. Soon: peach pie. Mmmmmm... pie....

2 comments:

  1. mmm, Peach Pie is the best. Peach Pie was my on-air name for a funk show on my college radio station.

    indeed you & your other J are two of the richest people i kno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. "Peaches" and I just finished bagging and tagging the last of the box. A few were already beyond the pale. The flavor is outstanding, though. I'm such a goober to get into this fresh seasonal food thing so late. Oh, well, I'm making up for lost time.

    ReplyDelete