Saturday, March 31, 2007

Rawkin' the Basement




Last Friday, March 23rd, we hosted a little beer tasting, shrimp gobbling, cheese slicing and ear splitting seminar at our place. You may have been able to hear a lot of different tunes played at a lot of different venues, but I'd bet my draft beer system that my house was the only place you could hear a cover of "Big Bottoms" by Spinal Tap. Alex, pictured here with his sweet new Geddy Lee Signature Model Fender bass, provided the tablature and led the group in a swing at this classic. Okay, so it's a work in progress. Alex, Charlie and Parker handled the lead bass, bass bass and rhythm bass. Alex wants to take another crack at it sometime (get it?!?).

I'm going to try something here. Rather than posting a bunch of pics, here is a link to my Flickr page. I'm still figuring it out, so be patient.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66913936@N00/sets/72157600039529745/

In addition to Alex, who plays with our choir at church and also handles the devil's music quite well, we had Tom and Charlie, who join Joreen and I in the Durable Goods, our side project; Parker from Just Friends and sideman in demand; Bill Nork of the Bayou Bandits, with his new Beard dobro; Terry Keating, turning on the Lovelight; Tony Formica, blues singer deluxe, of the Slaughterhouse Blues Band; Roger Wilkinson of Hemlock Hollow; Ed McGovern, solo artist appearing frequently at Coyote Joe's; Dave, Charlie's friend, whose last name I'll learn next time; and many of our "civilian," non-playing friends who were there to listen. That's much appreciated, since in my old age I don't really get off on playing alone or to an empty room as much as to human beings. Also, a shout-out (is that hyphenated? I'm not sure) to Karen Gray, comedienne and playwright, who's got a smile so bright, you know she could have been a candle. We are really blessed to have so many loyal, long-standing, talented friends -- even when they yell for Freebird (thanks, Sean).

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Nice pic! Go Sabres!

    Had a great time. Looking forward to the next jam. Maybe I'll have some guitar/vox to share.

    ReplyDelete