Monday, July 06, 2009

The Music Never Stopped

Get comfortable. This is a long entry. There's been a lot going on.

This past weekend has been a guitar extravaganza. Friday afternoon, I played with the Jury of Five at the American Music Festival in Harrisburg, filling in for their guitar player, Al. We rehearsed about four times and put on a great set. Mike, Mark, Scott and my brother Steve were very supportive and good to work with. We had some laughs, played some tunes and rocked the crowd, so you can't ask for more. Joreen filmed the show and it's in "post-production" I guess. For a little taste of what it was like, go here. Thanks to all our friends and familly who showed up, and to Judge David Weyl who stayed for the whole show. He and I have worked together for a long time and we've talked about my musical sideline, but this is the first time he saw me play, and he enjoyed the performance.

Friday evening, the Durable Goods took over our living room for a "rehearsal" that turned into a bona fide party. Company showed up bringing food and drinks and it was kind of strange. We were a bit loud -- well, okay, we were bone splintering, face melting loud -- so nobody came into the living room, but I'm told we sounded great outside. Folks congregated in the kitchen and downstairs, and occasionally we would hear disembodied applause. We had a ball.

Thanks to Alex for coming over to help set up inside instead of out due to a threatened storm that never arrived, and for the tasty southwest salad; to the aforementioned Mike Miller and his lovely wife Dottie, for coming and bringing mac and cheese and cake (no, not in the same dish, smart-aleck); to the Rollers and their wings, Alex's friends Mark and Robin; Bill Nork and his pizza, I believe; Stevie and Patty and whatever they brought; Mark Knarr and the best tasting pork barbecue I've had in a long time; Terry Keating and whatever he brought, and for spreading the word about the get-together; the lovely and talented Karen Gray; our manager Sean Sanderson; and a special shout-out to our long-time friends Rick and Irene Woodard who went out of their way to contact me and get over here. I was so pumped to play that after we turned off the amps, I broke out the acoustics. Terry and I accompanied Irene in a Peter, Paul and Mary singalong (featuring "the V-8 vocal stylings of Irene Woodard"). We had a ball, and thanks to anybody else who was here not mentioned above for attending and filling the pot luck table with goodies. It's been too long since we've had a Fourth of July party, and it was worth the wait.

One dark cloud on the evening was that our rhythm guitar player, Charlie Ruhl, is on the DL, having burst his appendix for no good reason last week. He's had a rough time of it, but is recuperating and I hope is out of the hospital by now. He intends to be back in action by the main event, the fundraiser on the 19th.

Then Saturday, Just Friends did our annual performance at Hotel Hershey for the fireworks party on the patio. There was a huge crowd on the newly renovated patio, and again our friends and family turned out. Special thanks to my brother David who performed with us. Gio was unavailable for the show, so I moved into the middle slot and we pulled it off in style, hitting the end of God Bless the USA just as the finale ended. I love when that happens.

The big surprise was when Ron and Maria Reedy showed up. They were late, unfortunately, due to bad information in the Go section of the paper which said we started at nine in the Iberian lounge. The Reedys had moved to Florida and have since returned to the 'burg, so we caught up on kids, grandkids and the like. Another surprise: another workers' comp judge, Judge Frances Williamson, came up and complimented us, while ribbing me by saying, "I thought you were in a nice, conservative band." I didn't know he was there, but it was great to see him. One of the best things about Just Friends is that I'm proud when judges and lawyers I work for see us perform. We are a top notch professional outfit, just like Commonwealth Reporting, and that consistency is something I'm grateful for.

Then Sunday, Just Friends with special guest Dave Kelly played the Singles Dance at the Holiday Inn New Cumberland. Joreen missed the first set due to playing Mass, so again we had to think on our feet, and once again we pulled it off. The dancers hit the floor and pretty much packed it all night long. Thanks to Sid for booking us and all the dancers, even the ones who requested songs we didn't know.

Now, today, I think I'll just go do my day job. Transcribing, sitting down, with nothing around my neck and no gear to move: sounds sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment