Thursday, January 21, 2010

Be Vewy Qwiet. I'm Hunting Lywics.

The recurring image that comes to my mind about songwriting is that of Elmer Fudd hunting wabbits, when Bugs Bunny is tip-toeing right behind him. Songwriting can be the most frustrating activity in the world and the most rewarding, almost all at once. Case in point: I've been carrying around a fragment, two lines -- two really, really good lines -- for about 20 years. Last night, on the way to the store, the rest of a song just marched up and said, "Okay, Doc, ya got me." Then there's that interesting time between the creative flash and when you can get somewhere to write it down. A few minutes at the laptop, a few simple chords and viola! Bonus: today while tearing down my equipment after a hearing, a second verse started materializing. I think it's done, and I'm pretty happy with it.

I think going to the open mic at the midtown arts center might be helping get stuff moving for me. I've been threatening to "work on my solo album" for a long time. This being The Year Of Getting Around To Things, I guess it's time. The material is all over the place stylistically, but we'll see what happens. I do know this new tune is going to be in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment