Saturday, January 09, 2010

Joreen's Choice For Dinner Tonight

We've been married too long. She said at lunch, "What do you want to do for dinner tonight?" I said, "Oh, all right, I'll take you to the Farm Show." That's where we're headed. It's actually one of our favorite restaurants and it's only open one week a year. I'm not thrilled about paying $10 to park, I can tell you. We might see if we can scam a free spot on Cameron Street and "stick it to the man."

I've been quiet on the blog, but one fun thing happened recently. I went down to the open mic at Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center and played some of my original tunes to a pretty large and very receptive crowd. I had mostly given up on the open mic experience, finding it not too satisfying, but this has a lot going for it. Mike Banks is a very experienced host and really keeps things moving. The stage is beautiful, very tastefully lit. The sound is really good (as long as you're playing acoustic). The audience is more than just people coming to play and there's talking, but there's listening as well.

Some years ago, Joreen bought me a Boss loop station pedal and for some reason I couldn't wrap my brain around its operation, put it away and said, "I'll get to learning it someday." I've declared 2010 The Year Of Getting Around To Things, and that's one I can cross off. In fact I don't know why I had such a hard time of it earlier. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of synching up the loop. I used it on stage and didn't have any train wrecks at all.

For you Facebookers, the open mic page is here. I don't know if this link will go right to Facebook for you or not.

Anyway, Joreen will be here soon. Better get ready to get in the potato donuts line. Mmmmmmmm.......potato donuts.............

No comments:

Post a Comment