Tuesday, September 30, 2008

If I Only Had A Brain and More Time to Watch YouTube

While in the middle of trying to make some serious deadlines, the last thing I should do is go on YouTube. I should have parental controls put on that damn site. You can fall in and get lost. One minute you're trying to find a ballad with something about "morning glory" in the title, next thing you know you're watching Phish's drummer's mom play the above-mentioned song on an Electrolux vacuum cleaner, and then -- this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZsj4jKkXoc&feature=related

Pretty smooth, eh? Check this out. The "morning glory" reference is to this song by Lizz Wright. Years ago, I listened to it all the time, then could not for the life of me remember the title or the singer. Today, thank God and Google, the phrase "she's just a morning glory" dug its way out of my brain and I found the title "Blue Rose." And then I found this. Get comfortable, it's a bit long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rHqJCPvMnI

Heartbreaking. Humans can be so crude, cruel and vicious, and yet capable of something this beautiful. Until a second ago, I hadn't thought to look on YouTube for the song. Her performance is unbelievable, and the guitar player is tearing me up. Music like this gives me hope.

And now, back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment