Friday, October 17, 2008

Status Report

Many kind folks have been asking how my shoulder is and what's going on with my working and playing status, so here's where I am as of today. Right now, I am able to type and play guitar as well as before (for better or worse). I had some trouble in the beginning with the acoustic due to its depth and the forward roll of the shoulder needed to play it, but I'm doing better. I do have some soreness in the arm, but it's very manageable. The tendon is a complete break and the torn piece has retracted back over the ball of the shoulder, as I understand the explanation. They're going to stretch that puppy back over, put in a couple screws and stitch it up on Nov. 12.,outpatient. As of that point, I will be out of action for four weeks, immobilized. After that, it will be a race to rehab in time for the holiday gigs including New Year's, the Big One. I hear it can be a painful recovery and rehab, but the doctor has convinced me at this point that it's not an unusual or difficult surgery for him, so that gives me confidence. I should be mostly back up to speed in two months.

As of now, I will be playing until the surgery date, then out of commission until right before Christmas. As for work, the doctor assures me that I will get back the movements I have now before I get full range of motion, so I should be able to at least proof-read. I could even envision reporting, although I would have to have someone take me to the hearing room. Driving stick may take a while to get back.

So there's the deal. If I stay in the condition I am now until the 12th, we'll try to find a time to get together and jam before then, but that's still tentative. I have a lot of prep work to do before this fandango on the 12th. Thanks for your concern and prayers, and don't forget to be grateful for things like being able to button your own shirt. It's the little things that mean a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment