Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Old School Eggs; New Music Alert


With no grandchildren available on Holy Saturday to color eggs, Joreen was ready to skip them this year. Instead, she and I sat down and created these masterpieces. I haven't colored eggs in years and years, and it was fun. As you can see, both Joreen and I have retained the styles we perfected back when Soupy Sales was still on TV.
In another quirky Holy Saturday tradition, Joreen attended the Dog Show at the Farm Show Building, and this time I went along with her. First off, parking is $8.00 (unless you park on Maclay Street and walk over, neener-neener), and the attendants are amazingly rude. When I went to drop Joreen off, I thought this generalissimo with the yellow vest was going to pull a sidearm on me when I asked to just drive over near the door. Oh, well, I parked for free and then we walked in a side door left open by a cigarette smoker, only to realize that we had just sneaked in. We stuck it to The Man.
Finally, before I head off to Pottsville for work, there's a band called Toubab Krewe playing at ABC tomorrow night. They're from North Carolina but they play a brand of world music that is pretty tasty. No vocals, heavy on the Afro-Cuban style percussion and a guy who plays a kora, which is a pretty whack looking thing. There's splashes of reggae, ska and surf music in the mix. It's a ticketed event, $8.00 in advance, $12.00 at the door. They've played here before, and it's expected to be crowded. Doors at seven, show at eight. You can buy tix at the ABC in person, or go here. To listen to what they sounded like at ABC last October, go here. It should be a great way to celebrate the income tax deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment