Monday, September 28, 2009

Big Doings This Weekend

Just Friends played at the Hersheypark Amphitheatre, closing out the official season of the park. Despite (or because of) the rainy weather in the afternoon, we had decent crowds who were very enthusiastic. I love it when they sing along -- especially if I'm about to blank on the lyrics. I can't memorize for spit but I can read lips pretty well.

Thanks to the mighty Mrs. Kelly you can now see us in action. Go to http://www.justfriendsband.com/ and check out the Youtube videos. They all turned out well for an unattended camera using "through the air" sound. I especially love Vince's Tu Vuo Fa L'Americano. No, you don't know what he's saying, but so what? Actually, the lyrics are quite humorous, about an immigrant from Naples who wants to be Americanized; that's what the references to rock and roll, baseball and Camel cigarettes are about. It's one of my favorites that we're doing these days, and Vince just tears it up.

We finished at 7:15. At 8:30 we arrived at the reception for the wedding of Stephanie and Zachary. They were very gracious in welcoming us even though we were about five and a half hours late (and I was wearing a bowling shirt). We missed most of the cool stuff like the vows and the toasts and the dances, but we did get to hear Steve sing "Sweet Caroline," so it was still all good. Best wishes to the newlyweds. You never know what the future holds, but may theirs be full of promise and hope, and surprises. Look at my first wife and me; we're still rocking after all these years.

The band continues to work on its promo package, recording a demo at Log Cabin Studios on Sunday. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's impossible to record all the music and most of the vocal tracks for seven songs in three and a half hours, but Vince doesn't know it's impossible, so we keep doing it. Thanks again (I should make a macro for this sentence, I have to type it so often!) to my little brother David. He does all things well, including engineering a recording session in a garage.

Finally, as if all that wasn't enough, Sunday night I attended The Gliders show at the Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center. They opened for Adam Marsland, an artist from Los Angeles, who was also pretty good, but The Gliders were the best. I miss those songs and they've never sounded better. I mean it, the performances were spot-on and done with real love. I get a kick out of Bobby Martin, who sounds so much like Phil Lesh and is too humble to believe me when I tell him that. Mike Sgrignoli is one of the most powerful drummers I've ever heard, and these songs were made for his harmonies. Eric Zimmerman has less hair than he did back in the day but his songs are still compelling, original and honest, and don't sound dated in the least after all these years. And my friend Bill, with the Marilyn Monroe Strat and the spiffy Mesa amplifier, was hitting everything he aimed at. Such tone. Okay, I'm raving, but if you were at the show you know what I mean.

For a Sunday night in the Burg, the band drew a nice crowd of musicians and music lovers. For a little while it was like being in a city with a real music scene. The venue is beautiful and comfortable, just what Harrisburg needs more of, although they still need to do something about the sound mix. Marsland was probably singing in English, but I couldn't swear to it.

The Gliders will be performing at the Little Buffalo Arts Festival on October 3rd at 2:30 p.m. Unless you're doing something that can't wait, you should do yourself a favor and go see them. I hope we'll have other chances to see them, but this is a sure thing. Hey, there's no cover! That should make every cheap central Pennsylvanian's heart skip a beat. (Five bucks to hear a band? Sheeesh!) For more info on the festival, go here. To hear The Gliders tunes, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment